2015 MTT Profit

2015 MTT Profit
Click the Graph for a Month-to-Month Breakdown of Data

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

First Day of Phase Two: MTTs

Well today was an interesting day for sure. I got a good, solid taste of what the next 44 days are gonna be like trying to complete this project ha. I played 17 MTTs and 57 SNGs. It was definitely tense. I had three deep runs in MTTs but in the end the usual beats got me.

I played the following MTTs:

$11/30kG
$3.30r/50kG min-cashed
$22c/20kG
$5.50/turbo/3kG
$55/80kG
$11/15kG
$11r/70kG min-cashed
$5.50/2r1a/10kG
$55/50kG
$7.50/turbo

Took like a two hour break then came back and played:

$55/70kG
$11r/70kG
$55/6max/7kG
$7.50/turbo
$33/15kG
$11/6max/7kG
$27.50/turbo/15kG min-cashed

I was pretty tired throughout the day but I felt like I played really well. I can definitely think of two mistakes I made that I knew were mistakes at the time but was in such a robotic mode I almost couldn't stop myself. I'm sure you know what I mean. Thats something I'm gonna have to work on immediately.

I also cranked out 57 SNGs on the side. Some of you might be wondering something like "ummmm you played over 2,600 SNGs to build a bankroll for playing MTTs so why are you still messing with SNGs?" Well, if you are in fact wondering something like that, I'll provide three really good reasons why I'm still messing with SNGs.

Really Good Reason #1: The Rough Math

I'm averaging $2 profit per game in the SNGs. If I play 50 per day I'm making $100 profit per day. If I play 50 per day for the last 45 days of this project thats an additional $4,500 profit. This addition 4.5K profit combined with the 4.5K I've already earned gives me about 9K in profit from small SNGs alone. The importance of 9K profit from small SNGs speaks for itself.

Really Good Reason #2: Staying Sharp

SNGs are a microcosm of a large MTT. Throughout a SNG you'll experience a slow beginning period where the stacks are deep, a chaotic middle period where the stacks vary wildy and players struggle to either get in the money or accumulate chips, and finally an intense ending period complete with shorthanded situations, large pay jumps, and heads-up play. The better you are at SNGs the better you'll be at MTTs.

If you're three betting a lot in SNGs you'll be more comfortable three betting in MTTs. If you're abusing the bubble a lot in SNGs you'll be more comfortable abusing the bubble in MTTs. Etc, etc, etc. Being successful at SNGs keeps you very sharp for those rare times when you're deep in an MTT and aiming for a large score.

Really Good Reason #3: The Beating Heart of The Project

This is prbly the most important reason. SNGs are a low variance tournament (which is nice) but unfortunately low paying (which sucks). MTTs are the opposite. MTTs are a high variance tournament (which sucks) but have tremendously large payouts and ROIs (which is nice). So basically SNGs = small but steady profit while MTTs = long periods of bankroll bleeding with the occasional huge score.

Most ppl tend to play one or the other. But in my mind the optimal way to make the most money possible AND have absolutely zero risk of going broke is to utilize BOTH.

I grind the hell out of low variance/low paying SNGs and use the steady profit to fund the high variance/high paying MTTs.

Without the steady stream of SNG profit you might watch your bankroll get cut in half or even disappear before you finally get a good score from a MTT. But if you only ever played SNGs then it would take you a very long time to get the high profit rewards you're prbly looking for. Its the best of both worlds and I can't realistically see myself turning $500 into $25,000 without both.

So, in essence, SNGs are the heart of this project. They provide the funding to play virtually an unlimited supply of MTTs. And with an unlimited supply of MTTs I'm guaranteed to eventually hit. Its basically a system that can't fail unless its fucked up somehow by its user lol.

Anyway heres the graph of my SNGs today. Its nothing too pretty but it gives an idea how an average daily SNG session might look:

























Ok I'm exhausted its bedtime. I can't promise I'll have posts as in depth as this one every day but I will update every day. Sometimes I just feel like explaining everything thats in my head and sometimes I just wanna get it over with ha.

Back at it tomorrow. Stay Cool.

1 comment:

Mr. Jackie O'Quinn said...

Been following your blog for several days now. Keep up the great work. I play 50NL and have no desire to do the tourney stuff seriously. But it sounds to me you have one of the best approaches I have ever seen. Good luck!