2015 MTT Profit

2015 MTT Profit
Click the Graph for a Month-to-Month Breakdown of Data

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Motivation

I played a long 25K session Monday and it went awful. Played another long session Tuesday and it was just as bad. If I wasn't running into some random idiot's good fortune I was leveling myself against Supernovas and looking like a fool while losing my chips.

Down about $1200 over both days.

When I woke up yesterday morning (Weds morning) I just wasn't feeling motivated. Its strange because three weeks ago two consecutive losing sessions wouldn't have bothered me. I would have got right back in there. But for some reason the motivation, fire, and intensity I had seem to have cooled to just a glowing ember. I know this has been evident in my lack of blogging and lack of playing tourneys.

So instead of loading up a plethora of tourneys yesterday morning I loaded up a plethora of cash tables. I 24-tabled 50nl for about four hours and played 6,100 hands. I was +7 buyins and picked up a cool 1,200 VPPs. This puts me one step closer to Supernova.

For the record, I'm now break-even at 50nl but still -9 buyins at 100nl. I'm prbly just gonna stay at 50nl though and recoup that money there. Eventually I'll even be making money.

However, I'm regretting having gotten myself addicted to these cash games.

Are they a sick way of earning points and easily making Supernova? Yes.

Do I enjoy 24-tabling and executing split-second decisions? Absolutely.

Are they profitable? Marginally.

Have they caused me to lose my tournament motivation? Most likely.

The conclusion I have to draw is that the cash games are a distraction from where my focus should be: tournaments and the 25K Project.

This being said, I'm going to force myself to get in there every day and do tournaments like I was. I'll still run cash game sessions on the side cuz I'll need the points for supernova but I can't let them be my main focus.

Self-discipline is fundamental to being a successful poker player. Its something I'm nowhere near perfect at. But its something I'm working on.

Hopefully if you've read this perhaps you can take a look at some of the things you've been doing and decide if you have any distractions of your own.

No comments: