2015 MTT Profit

2015 MTT Profit
Click the Graph for a Month-to-Month Breakdown of Data

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Collection of Little Things



The title of this post will likely be the first in a series like it. On nights like tonight (32 MTTs and a sattelite) where nothing substantial materialized, there are typically some smaller positive things to take away.

Shipped the $5.50 6max for the second time this month (also a 2nd place in it). Only 52 players (not even a hundo for first), but it's super soft and so easy to dominate at the last two tables.

Won the $55 (30K Guarantee) seat in the $7.70 satellite (20-seat Guarantee). The sixth one of these I've won this month (6/18). I play the 30K whether I satty in or not.

When the numbers are run, the $7.70 satellite has saved me $191.40 in total buyins to that tourney this month. If you wanted to dig further (and I always do) you can essentially recalculate the buyin of the $55 30K Guarantee as $44.37..make sense?

These little things, in aggregate, add up to pretty substantial profit in the long run, For example, if I hold the same margin for a full year, playing the quick turbo $7.70 satellite ADDS $2,296.80 to my annual profit margin.

Speaking of other little things, I hit my third $7.70 "Hundredaire" score. Typically the top 10 or 11 spots turn $7.70 into $100.00 (weak field of ~150 players). Again, another example of consistently picking up small things here and there that add up when you calculate your bottom line. Like the above example, if I hold my current margin in the Hundredaire from an annual perspective, I add $1,936.80 to my bottom line.

So by simply running the nightly $7.70 satellite and $7.70 Hundredaire (in addition to the "meat" of my schedule), I can expect to see ~4K profit added annually.

Ugh, and then I bubbled the FT of the $27.50 KO 6max tonight. Two nights ago I got 3-outed at the FT of this tourney and busted in 6th. On July 16th I won this tourney. Seems to be the MTT I consistently do the best in right now (could just be variance, coupled with the fact the field is typically 135-155 players.. small but not too small). 1st always pays over $600.00, topping out at $700+ on good nights. Great tourney with a great structure, and because the buyin is a little higher than the $11s and $15s, players don't go too crazy in forcing showdowns that should generally be avoided if possible..this increases the skill level of the game and reduces variance (something I may talk more on later).

6max has always been a strength of mine. I'm very comfortable with 6max ranges and it's easier to figure out your competition's weaknesses for two very simple reasons:

1) When there are less opponents at the table, there are less individual player dynamics to process and work around
2) Those opponents have to play more hands by virtue of more button orbits thus revealing more of their thought process, which you will bank and exploit at the right time.

Okay so, circling back to the beginning, I'll probably try to make posts like these when it's a "here and there" kind of night like tonight (if I have the energy..please don't expect quite daily postings). I think it's good for me to reflect on the positives (no matter how small) and I know readers like to see any kind of success.

These small-prize portions of my schedule also help to offset the often nasty toll MTT variance can have on your bankroll, in addition to keeping you sharp in late-game situations. Tonight being a great example of this..

My schedule had me in for 32 MTTs and one sattelite (sum of buyins = $500.01). Though no "substantial" FTs/scores were made (where true profit creation occurs), I was still able to offset the total buyins by $382.01 (76% of daily expenses recovered). Again, the bulk of that 76% recovery was the satellite, the Hundredaire, and the win in the weak 52-runner $5 6max no guarantee.

So if you're looking to keep variance in check and stay sharp for late game situations, I've always been an advocate of mixing in a pretty healthy dose of what I like to call "variance control tourneys". I can talk more on this later, or feel free to shoot me any questions you might have on this and I'll be happy to share more details of this process if it interests you.

Good luck out there.

















No comments: